New Smoking Prohibitions - Information Session
8/21/2012 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
The Mill Valley City Council will soon consider amending our Municipal Code to tighten smoking restrictions within City limits.
An information session will be offered to the public on Tuesday, August 21st at 1:00 pm in Council Chambers at Mill Valley City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Avenue, Mill Valley, CA. Members of the public are encouraged to attend to learn more about the amendment and to give feedback on the proposed changes.
City Council will consider an amendment that will include:
- A ban on smoking in any place where food and/or drink offered for sale, including outdoor areas of restaurants and bars;
- A ban on smoking at a minimum of 20 feet from any entrance, opening or exit of any enclosed area, including windows;
- A ban on smoking within any public park or publically owned open space area located in the City of Mill Valley;
- Prohibition on smoking within a minimum of 20 feet of: service lines (ATMs, ticket lines, bus stops, transit shelters, and cab stands; working road, building and construction crews; publically and privately owned recreational areas open to the general public (playgrounds, sporting facilities, children's play areas, and rinks);
- A ban on smoking at all public events including but not limited to; sports events, speaking performances, ceremonies, pageants, parades, fairs and farmer's markets;
- Prohibition on smoking in any vehicles, buses, taxicabs, and other means of public transit under the authority of the City of Mill Valley;
- A ban on the disposal of smoking waste or tobacco product waste within the boundaries of an area in which smoking is prohibited;
- A permanent designation of a minimum of 80 percent of guest rooms in every hotel and motel and bed and breakfast facility as completely nonsmoking;
- A tobacco retailer's license provision that will require licensing of all businesses involved in tobacco sales, and will establish enforcement procedures.
The City Council will consider the new ordinance at their regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, September 4th, at 7:30 pm in Council Chambers at Mill Valley City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Avenue, Mill Valley, CA. Materials related to this item will be available for review 72 hours prior to the meeting at Mill Valley City Hall, Mill Valley Public Library, and the Council Meetings and Agendas Page.
The City Council values input from the Mill Valley community as they consider this amendment, and your feedback is welcome and encouraged. To submit comments or to ask questions, please contact Linn Walsh, Assistant to the City Manager at phone: 415-388-4033 x 103 or email: email@example.com.