East Blithedale Rehabilitation Project
The City of Mill Valley recognizes East Blithedale Avenue as a vital corridor between downtown Mill Valley and Highway 101 as it serves as the northern gateway into the City’s residential, school and business areas.
The East Blithedale Avenue Rehabilitation Project is currently divided into 3 phases and the goal is to rehabilitate aging pavement conditions, install new bike lanes, upgrade existing traffic signals, and improve access.
The project will interrupt the normal course of business and residential living in the project area. The City is working to address key issues to minimize, where possible, construction-related impacts such as traffic congestion, noise, debris, parking, business operations, deliveries, and accessibility for residents, employees, and customers.
Project Update (July 2022)
Work is ongoing to rehabilitate the roadway, giving the community a better driving surface, as well as repairing the aging sewer system to provide better sewage flows for residences and businesses. Work crews are replacing sidewalks, driveways and curbs West of Camino Alto. We appreciate your continued patience as work continues to progress!
MILESTONE: PHASE I
The City’s contractor, Argonaut Constructors is completing the final punch list before the City of Mill Valley accepts the completion of the roadway project between Tower Drive and Amicita Avenue (Phase 1). Please take note of the new permanent traffic pattern change at Ashford/Meadow.
With Phase I nearing completion crews will continue to focus their work on Phase 2 & 3:
Project Improvements for Phases II and III include:
- Pavement repairs
- New ADA compliant curb ramps
- New rapid flashing beacons at crosswalks
- Storm drain system improvements
- Sewer main repair, and curb and gutter repair
East Blithedale Rehabilitation Phase 2 Update: (between Sunnyside Avenue and Mesa Avenue):
- Work crews are demolishing the sidewalk and several driveways along the north side of East Blithedale. Currently, work crews have removed 50 feet of sidewalk along East Blithedale from the north east corner of Alta Vista Avenue. Pedestrians may still use the sidewalk along the south side.
- Argonaut's sanitary sewer crew is 95% complete with the sanitary sewer rehabilitation. Completion coming soon!
East Blithedale Rehabilitation Phase 3 Update: (between Sunnyside Ave and Elm Ave):
- Crews will begin to remove and replace concrete sidewalks at Sycamore Avenue and Sunnyside Avenue. They will remove and replace concrete curb, curb and gutter, and install new ADA compliant curb ramps on the northside of East Blithedale Avenue between Elm Avenue and Camino Alto.
- We are pleased to report that work crews have completed paving on Sunnyside Avenue!
Marin Municipal Water District Pipeline Replacement:
- MMWD is completing waterline service connections along East Blithedale between Amicita Avenue and Elm Avenue (Alta Vista). Next, the contractor will move to the West of Elm Avenue to begin water line replacement between Elm Avenue and Dell Lane.
Some key design features include:
- Pavement rehabilitation
- Widening sidewalks at three utility pole locations
- Installing approximately 43 new ADA compliant curb ramps
- Widening the sidewalk in front of Boyle Park
- Installing Class III bike lane street markings from Sunnyside Avenue to Sycamore Avenue
- New bike route signing and striping improvements at the Millwood Avenue and Sycamore Avenue intersections
- Extending curbs ramps (bulb-outs) at Sunnyside Avenue, Mountain View Avenue, Dell Street, Thalia Street, East Drive, and Mesa Avenue.
- Installing rectangular rapid flashing beacons at six uncontrolled crosswalks
- Sewer repair and lateral replacement
Phase I construction: Final paving completed by June 2022.
Phase II construction: April 2022 - October 2023
Phase III construction: April 2022 - October 2022
Click here to sign up for project updates and stay up to date with construction alerts.
Direct Project Contact Information 24/7:
City of Mill Valley:
John Collins, Project Manager
David DeLira, Associate Engineer
Construction Management and Public Outreach Team:
Mike Janet, Construction Manager Coastland
Rob White, Construction Inspector Coastland
Katie DeMaio, Public Outreach AIM Consulting email@example.com
General Contractor: Dan Giordani Argonaut Constructors firstname.lastname@example.org