- Concealed Weapons Permit (CCW)
Concealed Weapons Permit (CCW)
MVPD POLICY License to Carry a Firearm.pdf
Mill Valley Police Department will fairly and impartially consider all applications to carry firearms in accordance with applicable law and our policy.
Per the Supreme Court’s ruling in New York Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, requiring an applicant to establish ‘good cause’ to get a carry permit is unconstitutional. To comply with the ruling, we will no longer enforce this requirement or require applicants to demonstrate good cause to qualify for a license to carry a firearm.
TO QUALIFY FOR A LICENSE TO CARRY A FIREARM
Applicants must meet certain requirements, including:
- Be a resident of Mill Valley within the City’s jurisdiction (Penal Code § 26150; Penal Code § 26155).
- Be at least 21 years of age (Penal Code § 29610).
- Fully complete a California Department of Justice Standard Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon under penalty of perjury that will include substantial personal information. Much of the information in the application may be subject to public access under the Public Records Act.
- Be free from criminal convictions that would disqualify the applicant from carrying a firearm.
- Fingerprints will be required, and a complete criminal background check by Department of Justice (DOJ) will be conducted.
- Be of good moral character (Penal Code § 26150; Penal Code § 26155).
- Pay all associated application fees. These fees are set by statute and may not be refunded if the application is denied.
- Submit proof of ownership or registration of any firearm to be licensed.
- Provide character reference letters.
- Be free from any psychological conditions that might make the applicant unsuitable for carrying a firearm (Penal Code § 26190); complete a psychological appointment with an approved department psychologist.
- Undertake a personal interview with a law enforcement designee.
- Successfully complete required safety and proficiency firearms examination at an approved firearms safety school (Penal Code § 26165).
MVPD Concealed Carry Weapon Guide
California Department of Justice Standard Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon
Department of Justice Request for Livescan Form