The East Blithedale Rehabilitation Project is expected to be an 18-month-long construction project to repair infrastructure. Improvements include rehabilitating pavement and sanitary sewer lines, installing new bike lanes, pedestrian ramps, pedestrian bulb-outs, and crosswalks, and improving access to local residential, school, and business areas.
Construction began the week of April 10th, 2022, and will continue through 2023. Please note that construction schedules are subject to change.
The City hosted a Community Meeting on April 21, 2022. If you missed it, you can watch the video here.
Here is the latest news on the East Blithedale Avenue Rehabilitation Project:
- New concrete curb ramps were installed at the Park, Locust, Fern, and La Goma intersections along Sycamore.
- Curb ramps were replaced on one side of Sycamore Avenue at a time to accommodate pedestrian traffic on the other side.
- The remaining ramps and patch paving repairs along Sycamore are scheduled to be completed the week of May 9, 2022.
Argonaut is scheduled to grind and pave East Blithedale Avenue from US 101 to Amicita Avenue and Ashford Avenue from Meadow Drive to Lomita Drive beginning Sunday evening May 22, 2022, through June 3, 2022. The work will be performed between the hours of 7:00 PM & 5:00 AM. Traffic striping will also be installed during the overnight work hours from June 1, 2022, through June 9, 2022.
The paving operation noise levels will be monitored for compliance with the approved specifications during construction. Vehicle lane closures and traffic delays are expected at multiple locations. Please watch for traffic control signs, use caution and use alternate routes where feasible. Please be sure to leave early to provide enough time to safely reach your destination.
- Cleaning and CCTV (video) of the existing 15” clay pipe mainline is expected to start May 9, near Sunnyside Ave, and to continue easterly.
- Spot sewer rehabilitation repairs will begin May 9 near the Thalia, Catalpa, and Carmelita intersections and progress into June.
- Mainline sewer rehabilitation is expected to start about 2 weeks following the spot repairs.
- New concrete ramps are being installed on Sunnyside Avenue at Parkwood Street and Laurelwood Avenue beginning the week of May 2 and being completed by May 16, 2022
Marin Water Pipeline Repair Project:
In addition to the East Blithedale Avenue Rehabilitation Project, Marin Water has started to replace a 100-year-old pipe along East Blithedale Ave. Work on the waterline began the week of April 10th and is running concurrently with the East Blithedale Rehabilitation Project.
- Installation of the 8” welded steel pipe waterline will continue in a westerly direction along East Blithedale Avenue during daytime work hours.
- Following testing of the main water line, the contractor will work on installing new water lateral lines to the individual properties.
- Laterals are expected to be installed in mid-May, from Camino Alto to Ryan Avenue pending certification of the new mainline.
For more information on the water project, please visit the Marin Water East Blithedale Pipeline Replacement webpage.
Marin Water & East Blithedale Ave Project Communications:
The City is committed to the goal of communicating about the project in a timely, cohesive, and proactive manner so that community members are well informed and able to access information.
Please keep in mind that businesses are open during construction. The city and project team encourage you to shop local during this time and to support your community! Staff thanks the community for understanding the difficulty in trying to minimize impacts and appreciates the community’s support during construction.
The Construction and Outreach team will:
- Update community members via the City website, social media, door hangers and door to door visits when practical
- Send regular eNewsletters with updates on traffic, parking, and other impacts. Sign up for our eNewsletter here.
- Provide professional construction management teams on-site on a daily basis to answer questions and resolve issues.
- Facilitate communication during the project with affected residents, businesses, utility companies, Marin Water District, PG&E, Marin Transit District, Golden Gate Transit, commuters, and other stakeholders.
- Phase I construction: Paving is expected to be completed by mid-June 2022.
- Phase II construction: April 2022 - October 2023
- Phase III construction: April 2022 - October 2022.
Thank You for your Patience During the Construction:
City and Construction Management staff are making efforts to mitigate construction impacts and are collaborating with the Mill Valley Chamber of Commerce to coordinate and notify local businesses of the planned work. City and Construction Management staff are available to answer questions and review concerns.
Direct Project Contact Information 24/7: (628) 238-0221
Stay Up to Date on the DPW Twitter Site
City of Mill Valley:
Construction Management and Public Outreach Team:
Visit the East Blithedale Rehabilitation Project website page here.