July 18, 2022
The City of Mill Valley commits to act and encourage community action towards eliminating racial disparities, both inside government and in the community. The City Council has identified Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives as their top priority, and staff provides regular updates to the City Council and community on activities in Mill Valley and around Marin County on a regular basis.
- Summer Internship Program - In partnership with the Marin County Cooperation Team (MCCT), the City of Mill Valley is excited to be hosting a 7-week paid summer internship opportunity for high school students. Five students have been placed with various City Departments including Recreation, Library, Finance & Public Works to receive practical and bona-fide workplace experience. The interns are gaining exposure to civic engagement while working on projects and focused career development with credible mentors.
Recreation & Arts
- Mill Valley Arts Commission Call for Artwork for new dedicated DEI Exhibition Space - The Mill Valley Arts Commission is now accepting 2D artwork from artists in the greater Bay Area to be considered for a showing in a NEW exhibition space which was created (and specifically allocated) to promote and highlight artists and/or artwork that represents Diversity and/or Equity, and/or Inclusion (DEI). Learn more about the Call for Artwork here.
- JEDI Committee Update - The Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion subcommittee (JEDI) met on June 23, 2022. Topics of discussion included a debrief of the Juneteenth celebration, a review of Parks and Recreation priorities for this coming year and a follow up to Recreation program scholarship conversations.
Planning & Building
- Draft Housing Element Available for Review. The Mill Valley Housing Element Update will serve as the City’s housing plan for the next 8 years (2023-2031). Your input is important to help assess the community’s housing needs, identify housing strategies to meet the City’s housing goals, and develop policy and resource priorities. This is the first public review draft available for public comment through the end of the day Saturday, July 30, 2022. When reviewing the document, please consider what Mill Valley’s housing needs are (Chapter 2), the City’s resources (Chapter 3) and whether the housing programs (Chapter 4) are sufficient to meet the City’s housing needs. Use the online survey form to submit your comments and feedback on the Draft Housing Element.
Download Documents: Draft Housing Element: Documents may be viewed here.
Submit comments online: Link to online comment form
Mill Valley Library Virtual Author Series - Brought to you in partnership with the Library Speakers Consortium:
- Author Talk With Historian and Pulitzer Prize Winner, Dr. Marcia Chatelain - Author of Franchise: The Golden Arches in Black America, August 3rd at 11:00 AM PDT. See More and Register
- The Beauty in Breaking: Author Talk with Michele Harper - NYT Bestselling Author and NYT Notable Book, August 22nd at 6:00 PM PDT. See More and Register
- Law Enforcement Working Group. The Mill Valley Police Department meets regularly with MVFREE every 6-8 weeks. Current topics include Bias By Proxy training policy and a public outreach campaign.
- Development Program - Southern Marin Fire District continues to partner with FIREFoundry. The county-supported development program will be giving a presentation to SMFD’s Board at the July meeting to share information on the program and ways for the District and Mill Valley to support their efforts.
- Revised Mission Statement - Staff is preparing to update the mission statement for the District to better reflect the direction of the District to continue moving this initiative forward in all aspects of our work.
Other Community Partners
- County of Marin announces Restrictive Covenants Time Progression - Check out a time-lapse map of Marin County that reflects the County’s progress with identifying and modifying illegal restrictive covenants. Recent California law requires California Recorders, escrow and title companies, real estate agents and brokers, and others who have knowledge of discriminatory restrictions, to record modifications with discriminatory verbiage redacted. Visit the Restrictive Covenant Modifications webpage for additional information.
- Marin City Sausalito Football Club - Learn to train the Benfica way! Sign up today for the Benfica Youth Academy Soccer Camp - Age groups: 2008-2015. Dates: July 23 & 24. Times: 10 am - 12 pm. Location: MLK Field, Sausalito. Register at: www.MCSFC.org.