It is with regret that we share the news of the passing of former Mayor Dick Swanson. Dick served on the Mill Valley City Council for eight years, from 1999-2007, including one year as Mayor. Prior to that, Dick served on the Planning Commission for two terms.
Dick was a consulting partner in the public sector industry group at Deloitte for ten years. Dick served over three years as the Chief Financial Officer of the Alameda County Congestion Management Agency (ACCMA). Prior to that he served two years in a consulting capacity as ACCMA’s investment advisor.
Dick contributed his time and considerable expertise in a number of ways:
- He was an instructor at the UC Berkeley Graduate Program and taught “Introduction to Public Finance”
- He served as a member of the San Francisco Mayor's Fiscal Advisory Committee, as well as a member of the American Public Transit Association and Financial Management Committee
He served on the
- California Transit Association Financing Committee
- Transportation Authority of Marin
- Marin County Transit District
- Mill Valley Historical Society Board
- He served as Treasurer for Kiddo
He was a frequent speaker on topics of financial capacity and long term financial planning. In retirement Dick was an avid fisherman.
We mourn the loss of Former Mayor Dick Swanson and send our condolences to the Swanson family. We are grateful for his many years of service and positive contributions to our community.
The Mill Valley City Council adjourned their August 1, 2022 meeting in his memory.