Is assistance in filing disability access complaints available?

Persons with disabilities or others needing assistance should contact the following to request an appointment:

  • Kathy Toohey, Building Official
  • Mill Valley Building Department
    City of Mill Valley
    26 Corte Madera Avenue
    Mill Valley, CA 94941
  • Phone 415-388-4033 (TTY 771)
  • Fax 415-381-1736
  • Email:

Show All Answers

1. When should a disability access complaint be filed?
2. What happens after a disability access complaint is filed?
3. How will the complainant be informed of the status of the disability access complaint?
4. I have a septic tank. Who do I call?
5. I am thinking of adding a second unit to my house and was told I need to obtain a Sewer Connection Permit. Since my house is already connected to the sewer, do I need to do this?
6. How can disability access complaints be filed?
7. What is the purpose of the disability access complaint procedure?
8. What state laws and regulations govern accessibility?
9. Who may file a disability access complaint?
10. Is assistance in filing disability access complaints available?
11. How do I schedule a Residential Building Report?
12. (RBR) Resale inspection - What are the items the City staff will be looking for?
13. RBR (re-sale) inspection - What do I do if something is not up to code?